4.5 stars. You win, Morgan Rhodes, you sucked me in.
…This is going to be spoilery sooo just saying.
OOOK. I’m going to make one giant disclosure right off the bat. The Magneo (wtf is that ship supposed to be called??!) ship is 1000000% the reason I am here. I don’t care because everything is kinda leading back to them two anyway. So whatever.. judge me… I LOVE THEM.
So I’m going to take a moment to just appreciate one of the best slow burn relationships out there…
“I love you, Cleo,” he said, the words finally coming to him, with no effort at all because of how true they were. “I love you so much it hurts.”
Her eyes widened. “What did you just say?”
Magnus almost laughed. “I think you heard me right.”
Alright so this is a list kinda day because I am feeling lazy and I really can’t think in complete sentences. I promise to deviate from lists in later reviews (I swear…)
What was AWESOME:
1. Magnus and the fact that he figures his shit out
2. Cleo and her character arc that gives Magnus serious whiplash
3. The banter
4. The fact that we get to see another side to the world aside from the one continent
5. That villains are not JUST evil – more depth to them
6. The ending… was GREAT… and had me holding by breath for dear life
7. Ok, maybe I kinda like Jonas even though he’s hopeless
8. This book was ACTION PACKED and full of feels
What was NOT as awesome:
1. Everyone besides Magnus and Cleo
2. Lucia.. I just don’t like her. I’m sorry. Oh wait. No I’m not.
3. The whole immortals business just weirds me out because I don’t care as much as I should
4. Waiting for Jonas to do something right
5. Like everyone dies… I guess some people like that. I’m kinda over it.
6. I got kinda sick of the other POVS when really I just wanted to read about Magnus and Cleo (I know, I know.)
So to sum everything up.. I didn’t love this series right off the bat. Things such as Magnus/Lucia issues just weirded me out. I didn’t care about most of the other people in the series save a few. But whatever- because going through this series was worth it in the end. This book is now the reason the next book (Crystal Storm) is one of my most highly anticipated releases.
View all my reviews on Goodreads